Monday, March 05, 2012

Turns Out I'm "That Girl"


The stupid one in scary movies that goes wandering through the house in the middle of the night in just her pajamas to investigate something suspicious.

I was startled awake just before three in the morning by the sound of glass breaking. Greg wasn't home and when I was jolted off my pillow by the loud crash I noticed that both the cats were still curled up at the end of the bed. So if it wasn't Greg tripping over something and it wasn't the cats getting into trouble like cats in the night sometimes do, what was it?

The cats jump down and wander over to the top of the stairs to take a look and I sit there in bed rubbing my eyes and listening...  all seems quiet. So then, for some reason (maybe because I haven't watched a scary movie recently) I decide to go have a little look-see myself. In my pajamas, with barefeet, and nothing to protect myself, and my phone laying on my nightstand upstairs.

So there I am creeping through the house, not turning on the lights (because I am one of those dumb people we all shout at in the movies), and I end up stepping on some glass in the kitchen. Apparently a couple of dishes had decided to commit suicide by throwing themselves off the counter in the middle of the night. I abandon my brief search to get a broom, sweep it all up and head back upstairs. I get up to the bedroom and sit down to see if I was cut by any of the glass, and then I hear the door open and shut.

I was just downstairs - I could have grabbed the bat in the front closet, or a knife from the kitchen drawer, or at least turned some lights on and taken a good look around. But because I would be "Girl Victim Number 3" in a horror flick, I did none of those things.

Fortunately, it was Greg that came up the stairs - trying to sneak in so as not to wake me up. So maybe its a good thing I wasn't armed after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment