Monday, July 25, 2011

A Restricted Diet

Lately what has really been grinding my gears has been a ban on certain foods handed down to me by new doctor. I used to pity people who had to pain-stakingly guard their diet, and now I am one of them. I'm a pretty low-maintenance lady, never giving a whole lot of thought to food besides my fiber intake, and this new diet is proving to be a real hindrance.

What can I have for breakfast that doesn't include caffeine or dairy or eggs. McDonalds is out, Tim Hortons is out, those Boost shakes, waffles/pancakes, yogurt, milk and cereal. And a cup of fresh fruit just does not cut it. (Don't even say muffins or donuts cuz you know that is just a giant slice of cake in a different shape and I have a wedding gown to squeeze into.) I started out by spending a fortune on egg free/dairy free waffles that I ate with the fresh fruit, but that's just not enough fiber in the morning. Threw me off for days. I decided to go back to cereal and choke it down with vanilla soy beverage.

And lunch! What's a sandwich without mayo and some thick slices of cheddar? A pretty lame-ass sandwich.

Bye-bye sweet pizza, lasagna, double bacon cheeseburger (love hurts!), icecream, how can life be sunny side up without two sunny-side-ups smiling back at me next to the hashbrowns?

I will be eating much healthier now thanks to grilled salmon with a side of rice, soy, lots of fruit and veggies, and my body will have to find a different fuel to get me through the day now that caffeine is out so that's good too I guess.* My intestines will thank me for it. But I am still feeling really quite pouty over this whole thing.



(*Although I have promised sweet, sweet coffee that it will continue to be my secret lover - in back stairways and dimly lit rooms, no one has to know...)  

2 comments:

  1. There is some research that shows that caffeine actually stimulates the bowels. So drink away!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't :(

    My small intestine decided it would rather be a jerk instead of a team-player, hence the new 'no caffeine' rule and other dietary limitations.

    ReplyDelete